Just a quick note about installing CentOS stream 9 because I know I am going to have to do this again!
LVM disks during installation
When installing CentOS from the graphical installer, initially my existing LVM partitions didn’t show up. The solution was to select the disks that contain the partition, and then choose manual (or maybe advanced?) partitioning. Then the LVM disks were present.
For both the
/ partition, you will need to reformat them!
After installation, once I rebooted, I got the unnerving error:
symbol grub_calloc not found
The solution is (relatively) straightforward:
- Reboot with the CentOS stream installer USB still in place
- When the initial text screen comes up (before the GUI installer) choose TROUBLESHOOT
- Choose to boot into rescue mode, and then choose normal rescue mode (
- Once you get the message about
chroot, enter the shell and issue the
- Use these commands
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
- instead of
/dev/sda1use the partition that has your
- it took me a couple of iterations to get this. First I did the
grub2-installwhich solved the
grub_callocerror but then dropped me into a
>grubshell on the next boot. After adding the
After rebooting again, I had to wait ages for the
selinux relabelling to finish. When it is finished
init reboots the computer, so you don’t need to wait around for that.
Here is how to install EPEL:
dnf config-manager --set-enabled crb
dnf install \