Moving Mobile Metagenomics Forward

This afternoon I began working on integrating my graph code from the proof of concept into MM-proper. As I looked through my code I noted a lot of places where there are things I’d like to clean up / reorganize / word differently throughout my code. I had been holding off on doing a lot of this because we’ve had a lot of excitement surrounding new MM features and I’ve wanted to push things forward as quickly as I could.

When I finally reached the section of code that I’ll need to change to allow for the new graphing functionality (as well as future growth), I realized that adding the code will take some significant restructuring. To that end, I’ve decided that the time for doing some spring cleaning on MM is at hand. Since I’ll be reorganizing quite a bit anyway, I may as well do my best to create code that will be as easy to understand and maintain as possible. With the completion (and impending integration) of the graph code, I’ve completed all of the functionality that has been outlined for MM so far.

Rob and I plan to have me work on the code through the end of February, and work on publishing a paper on it through March. My aim is to spend some time organizing the code so that it can be useful into the future, even if I am not working in the lab. Whether that usefulness comes in the form of being able to easily borrow code from MM for other projects or the project itself being easily extended to add other features, I want to do a good job streamlining things. Once I’ve completed that work, it should have the side effect of expediting my own efforts towards advancing MM over the next few months.